Tuesday, April 8, 2020
Today was the first day I worked on my garden since I went to the hospital last year, and was there for seven weeks. I have a very long way to go to turn my back yard into a productive food garden.
My plan is to eventually turn it into a year-round garden. So this year I am cutting down my four dwarf apple trees and two dwarf pear trees. For the past few years, as soon as they began to set fruit they have been ravaged by diseases. It is just not cost effective to spend more money on sprays every year than the amount of fruit these trees produce, so I will make room for other things.
My “enclosure” is still in need of a lot of work. First I plan to focus on adding a block raised garden in which I plan to start planting various greens for salads. I do not know if I will continue to use my buckets for anything else this year, or what I will do in my two small existing raised bed gardens after the garlic comes out. I planted the garlic last year without doing any real research, and did not plant the cloves in the correct orientation. I will learn.
Today I placed the base blocks in place overlapping the vermin screen and set the paver base material nearby in order to set a level base for the blocks. I can only do so much at a time because I have not yet gotten all my strength and endurance back, so I did one step today. Next week I hope to place the base material and set the base blocks. After that I will be setting larger blocks, two rows high, on top of that, fill it all with dirt, and start planting.
Most of my pictures for this post did not turn out right. I will be working on this. I need a steadier hand when taking pictures with my iPhone.